Sunday, June 2, 2019

Heaps of miracles and cool experiences

Hey everyone! How are things?? 
So this week was pretty interesting. We really just went around trying to introduce me to people. Not many people were home, but hey, that's okay. I'm still having a good time. 
Really not a ton to talk about, so I thought I'd talk about how work happens in this area. And what we're doing. Which, I guess is what these letters are supposed to be anyways lol. 
So this area is very Polynesian. There are soooo many Polynesians here. From wherever, you name it; Fiji? Yep. Samoa? Yep. Tonga? Yep. New Zealand? Most definitely. Well you get the point. There are just islanders everywhere. Which is awesome! They have such a fun culture. Areas like this really only come with one downside. I'm going to get so fat hahahaha. But hey, go hard or go home right? 
Since there's a lot of Polynesians here, we do a lot with sports. Monday evenings is touch rugby with the members from 3 different stakes, Wednesday is zone basketball (not really missionary work related, but we do it early and I thought I'd chuck it in there for emphasis haha), Saturday is basketball with the ysa of 3 different stakes, and we're trying to start up basketball on Tuesday nights with the young men; help them prepare to go on missions and do their own missionary work here at home. So that's been really exciting. Although I am garbage at touch, and pretty not good at basketball, i can fake it well enough to make people think i know half of what I'm doing hahaha. So that's good. 
Right now we are currently trying go build a teaching pool. Like I mentioned earlier, we're trying to focus on the young men. People around here really have a hard time getting out on missions. Idk why. But we are really wanting to connect with these young men and help motivate them to get out in the field (this 2 year experience will change their future, change their future family so much; and definitely for the better. These young men need that experience, all do). We also want to help them get involved in doing missionary work with their friends. They have so many friends who aren't members and that they've already invited to activities. Now we're trying to help them take that next step. I'm excited for that. 
As for other events hapnin, we are teaching one guy named VJ. He's planning on being baptized in a couple weeks, so we're really excited for that. We need to help him prepare for that. But he is excited too, so that's really good. 
Other news and shenanigans of various sorts (wow, that's definitely something my dad would say hahaha. Love my dad). Today we were invited to play basketball at 6am with president and a few other missionaries. Well, that went on for just about 3 hours hahahahha. President is such a good basketball player. I'm sure I've mentioned this, but he played European league, and I'm pretty sure that if you look up top 10 BYU basketball players of all time he's still on there. He's good. So we played with him and that was tiring. But wait, there's more. I mentioned earlier that we play touch every Monday. Well, that went on for 2 1/2 hours tonight. I'm currently trying stretch my legs so I'm not dead tomorrow. Hahahha. 
On Wednesday the sisters asked us to come kill some spiders in their flat cause "they're HUGE!" (And they couldn't reach a few of them). Well we were like, yeah sure that's okay Haha. So we went over and there were a few outside. Now, if we were in the states, I would've probably been like, wow, that's a hecka big spider. Probably could eat my hand. But since we're in Australia, I thought, wow, that's pretty small. Hahahhaha well, then we go inside to kill a spider in there that's way too high for them to reach. (They were outside their flat so its chill, we weren't there together). Well they have super high ceilings and no ladder or anything, so luckily my companion is a very large man from American Samoa. I stood on his shoulders on my tip toes and killed the spider up there. Fun stuff. Then the sisters gave us cookies. MEAN!!! 
Umm yeah. That really wasn't a very exciting story hahahha sorry. I'll have more fun stories hopefully next week when I'm in the blue mountains!!! 
Everyone! Jesus Christ lives, and He wants to talk to us! Listen to what Hes telling you. It's probably pretty important. I love you all heaps and always remember, the church is true, the book is blue! 
Elder Maxfield 
Sorry. No pictures cause I'm a lame-o

No comments:

Post a Comment